Tuesday, March 24, 2009

#87 Hug Mom



Now, normally, this is something people don't have to think about doing, they just do it on an almost regular basis (given that they're in the same vicinity as their mom). But coming from a formal Asian family, there aren't many "I love you"'s being said, if that, any contact with each other whether it be a hand shake or a hug. I think the generation gap is especially a bit wider in my brother and my case from my parents because they are from Japan, and my brother and I grew up here, which makes us first generation American. So we grew up around friends with affectionate families, that shared their affections with us (i.e. hugs, kisses, being tucked in at sleep overs). Mind you, it always felt a lil weird for me, but for the most part, I figured it was what most American families do.

Quick story: I used to be friends with these triplets in which I would go and sleep over almost every weekend, back in grade school. And every time, their mother would come in and tuck us in, and give us a kiss on the forehead and then say "good night, don't let the bed bugs bite." Used to scare the bejeezus outta me, and I'd lay there awake for a while, waiting for a swarm of bugs to come nibble at me. For a while, I never asked anyone what that phrase really meant, cuz I had my pride and always acted like I knew what everything was. "I'm White. I know all White things" kinda attitude. Finally, I asked one of my triplet friends, and she kindly explained to me that it was just a saying, and to not take it literally. From then on, I slept fine at their place.

So all in all, this pic is something I will cherish, and I will be giving my mom more hugs in the future. She usually gets weirded out, and rolls her eyes at me, saying "you're so needy, don't touch me." But look how happy she looks in this pic! (despite I grabbed her and forced her to stand still to take a pic with me lol) Mom, you know you love it ;p Mommy love is like no other! Always give ur momma a hug - you'll never know when it'll be the last...

No comments:

Post a Comment